Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Seven, Seven, Seven

Rob sent me an email with a fun problem taken from a game show. Here it is

There are 7 girls in a bus.
Each girl has 7 backpacks.
In each backpack, there are 7 big cats.
For every big cat there are 7 little cats.

Question: How many legs are there in the bus?
We are warned: This is a real math problem so don't say that a bus has no legs.

It reminds me of the famous riddle (which actually made into a Die Hard movie) about the man going to St. Ives.

As I was going to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Seven wives with seven sacks
Seven sacks with seven cats
Seven cats with seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks, wives
How many were going to St Ives?

Thanks, Rob, for the problem. Everybody else keep them coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cat one is 10990. I wasn't sure how to make an equation to solve it, because girls have 2 legs and cats have 4, so I didn't know how to account for that in a linear style. I just made a quick diagram with way too many branches on it.

The other one is a trick. Only one person was identified as going to St. Ives.

-jeff m