Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Worst Reason to Study Math

All over China, parents tell their children to stop complaining and to finish their quadratic equations and trigonometric functions because there are sixty-five million American kids going to bed with no math at all.
- Michael Cunningham
A friend forwarded this to me recently. I get sent a lot of quotes and stats of this flavor. I appreciate the aid in trying motivate my students to do math. I'm always looking for another tool in the, "When will I ever use this" battle. However, something about these quotes always seems to turn my stomach. It is either the tatic of fear-mongering or the unanalyzed assumption that the world is ultimately a better place if America continues it's preeminence among nations. I'm wondering what your reactions are? I'm looking forward to some good comments.

No comments: